3 Thoughtful Ways to Conserve Water
When we think about the environment and all the surroundings, the first thing that will pop up is how we can save. What exactly are we saving? Everything. So many people are coming up with their versions. But the central theme would be to save energy and save the earth. People are running for renewable sources. And what about water?
The water limit might be infinite, but drinking and usable water usage are not. But instead, the functional water sources are getting scarcer day by day. Conservation of water is now the talk of the town. When you are considering different ways to conserve water, there are so many approaches, and when there are thousands of opportunities, no one is paying attention. Capitalism of society puts a heavy burden on the environment. But still, conserving water is one of the leading ways to sustainability.
- Water conservation is a sustainable way of saving water, as it is vital for our survival.
- Lana Mazahreh has pointed out 3 ways to help conserve water.
- Starting from our daily lives and making better life choices, to governmental steps, can make for water conservation.
What is water conservation?
Water conservation can be simply described as saving water. Water is the core of our existence. Though the world is made up of two-thirds of water, finding usable water would not be efficient for all the living beings on the planet. Water should be reserved now before there is a global crisis over a scarcity of water. The water crisis is very real, and when it comes to business, we have water conservation. Why conserve water? For the future and the future generation.
Survival of the fittest has been a key saying from the beginning of time. Those who can fight against nature will live on. But what about the fact that we are turning against nature? And our greatest offense to nature is misusing the water. Water is an energy source, and like every energy source that doesn’t vanish, it’ll come back to the earth. But how about the timeline? You might be using some water now, but the water you are using up will not be returned to the earth the next day. They’ll take time, and water management will be crucial for the next generation. That’s why limiting water usage has been such a talk.
Apart from that, water usage has become one of the top concerns because many regions in the world lack the necessary water reserves. Some countries are wasting water, and some lack drinking water. The chances are high that every region of the world will feel the scarcity of water soon. As future generations pass, they will feel the shortage of water more than we are right now. As three to four generation would pass on, the shortages will be tough day by day. And even in a lifetime, we see how crucial water conservation has become.
3 Thoughtful Ways to Conserve Water: Lana Mazahreh
Lana Mazahreh is an environmentalist, and her 2018 speech on water conservation has more than one million views. Lana grew up in Jordan and faced the ultimate problem of water scarcity from very early on in her childhood. While growing up, Lana really learned the ins and outs of conserving water, and the speech on TedTalk about “3 Thought Ways to Conserve Water” was based on her experience. Most people only hear the topic and ignore it. Others will think the water scarcity as a myth as they are privileged. But those who have faced the crisis like (Lana Mazahreh) did understand the facts and tried to shorten the idea and make it look easy.
When we say there are three thoughtful ways to conserve water, let’s include the processes that Lana mentioned:
1st way: Make People Understand
When you start the conversation on how to save water, you must first tell people why. Why do they need to conserve water? When a person is unaware of the water available in reserve for the region, they will remain unbothered. Conservation initiatives have to be started in small communities. They have to be aware of how much water is left and how they can make the most of it from what is left.
2nd way: Empowering People
For the second part, the person who understands how to conserve water must be given the necessary tools. The government has to give the first push by limiting the amount of water delivered to each home. And when they have done that, the communities have to stand together. And the best possible way to consume less water would be by enabling water conservation by taking short showers.
3rd way: Look at Different Options
Water conservation doesn’t always have to be related to households, but there are so many different ways to do it. For example, in some places in Namibia, people were encouraged to use the wastewater and purify it again. And in Jordan, the people were encouraged to get the agricultural work done with less consumption of water. So the countries facing a water crisis have made changes, and those should be applied to others. This will definitely save the region for the foreseeable future.
Of all these three ways, Lana Mazahreh tried to tell us even though we think the water crisis is not confirmed for now, in time it will be. And then getting things suitable would be almost impossible. When you want the initiatives to be taken for reserving the water, the best way to start on it is from the beginning. Start by taking smaller steps so that future generations will not suffer.
✨ You May like: How To Be Eco-Friendly As A Teenager?
How to Conserve Water — Daily Life
When you think about conserving water, we all have perspectives. And when it came to me, I thought about what would actually make a difference. And thus, I came up with three different stages of saving water. In this article, I’ll include three different ways of saving water from a practical perspective.
Starting from houses
When we think about a huge issue, the beginning of the topic should be started by a small community. An individual plays a huge role when it comes to saving up some water. So, while conserving water for a region, start with your personal toilet. Here we are including some ways to save water in houses:
- Using a tank bank or float booster on the tap of the toilet will save gallons of water per day. You can even use a plastic bottle with a bunch of pebbles in it. This will help the toilet flush with just one push instead of going for a long time or multiple times.
- Ultra-low volume flushing is a thing for the future, and it saves around 70% of the water. A dual flush system is another thing that will save approximately 15,000 gallons of water, and they will also add to the overall use of water and will go toward the 30% water saving.
- Another way to save water in a toilet is to use a composting toilet. These composts can be used in landscapes, and the pollutants in the waterways would be out of reach.
- Water-saving shower heads and faucets are perfect for the shower to save an adequate amount. These showers are low-flow and save 2.5 gallons of water per minute compared to a regular shower.
- Cutting down the shower time would be another way to save some water. When you go for a shower in a coastal area, they give you around 3 minutes to take a shower. For the 4 minutes of shower, you can use around 20 to 40 gallons of water.
- Fully loading the washer at once would save a lot of laundry water. Also, matching the water level to the clothes load would help to conserve water.
The next part of conserving water would be from your life choices. Changing our eating, buying, and spending habits would really make a difference. And thus, the life choices you make would most certainly be a huge help. Here we are including some ways to save water in everyday life:
- The best way to save water when you use warm water is by insulating the water pipes. This way, the water will get heated early, and the vapor will not leave the line. This makes sure that less water is wasted and it is used more efficiently.
- Recycling the water is another way to get your lifestyle together. The water left after washing your dishes can be used in the garden for the plants, and even the water from food preparation would work.
- Shifting away from animal products is another way to save water. They require a lot of water to both raise and prepare thus ignoring them would really save water.
- Less buying will actually save water, and when you maintain a minimalistic method, the chances are high for less water usage in the overall cycle.
The last way of saving water would really play its part when the government is involved. When the water authority allows the users to control how much of the water is used, only a vast majority of the water can be saved. All the world’s governments are committed to saving the world from the water crisis as it is inevitable, but they still lack the proper service. This might be due to the lack of expertise, funds, and cooperation from within. Still, water conservation has to be a crucial fact.
The best three ways to conserve water are:
Awareness of the mass
Tools available for saving water
Alternatives to the use of water
Water conservation might be a hot topic for now, but environmentalists have been voicing the need for years. And Lana Mazahreh did the same. Knowledge brings power, and here the power of self-conservation would impact the whole thing. When you are somewhat assured and acknowledged about sustainability and the environment, even if others are not interested, you are really trying to make a change. And even with the tiniest efforts, water conservation from you still has a significant impact. It was once recorded that one out of every three people on the planet faces a water crisis, so almost one-third of the total world population is facing the situation. The three thoughtful ways to conserve water we included here would make a difference when we try to understand and apply the keys to the battle.
✨ Next Attraction: How Do I Use Reusable K-Cups?