How To Dry Reusable Sandwich Bags?
The Earth is slowly moving towards disposable and recycled products rather than using pure plastic-based products which are sometimes non-recyclable or pollute the nature in process of recycling and often for one-time use only. Look around you, you will find tons of your everyday use utensils that are causing a mess to the environment. Reusable sandwich bags aren’t just helping you to cover that up but also saving you from unnecessary waste and costs for packaging every time.
Reusable sandwich bags can be washed very easily and used over and over again. Some manufacturers guarantee that reusable sandwich bags can be used over 3000 times. Isn’t it amazing? Also, they are much safer and user-friendly in terms of storing foods and maintaining them for reuse. So buckle up, now it is time to knowing some easy and creative tricks on how to dry and maintain your sandwich bags easily.
- Reusable Sandwich bags are made out of Silicon, Polymer, and cotton-based fabrics. They are for carrying and storing light perishable foods.
- Wash and dry your reusable sandwich bag after every time you use it. Otherwise, bacteria can grow very easily on them.
- Try to air dry them by leaving them under open air and the sun. It will dry the bag quickly and will remove any bacterial contamination.
- The action of turning your bag inside-out only to turn it back again puts strain on the sealed edges and can lead to a shorter lifespan or breakages.
Reusable Sandwich Bags
Reusable Sandwich Bags are for storing your perishable food such as vegetables, fruits, snakes, etc. They are often airtight, anti-leaking bags made out of different materials, mostly silicon, cotton fabric, and polymers. Silicon-based reusable sandwich bags are more popular as they are more flexible and transparent to use. The opening of these bags is metal or plastic zipped to ensure air tightness and anti-leakage benefits.
You can simply wash, dry, store, and reuse them until they stretched up for good. After they are no longer for use, they can be recycled and reborn as same reusable sandwich bags leaving the environment without noticeable pollution.
Let’s Clean Them First
Our main discussion topic is how to dry reusable sandwich bags but the cleaning process comes before hand drying them. So let’s start with a short brief on how to wash them efficiently. It will take a little effort from your hand to wash them. Let’s start with the things you will need in the washing process:
- Washing liquid
- Washing Gloves
- A non-abrasive sponge or soft-bristled bottle brush
- Warm water
- Small bowl
- Step 1: Presoak the reusable sandwich bags in warm water, rinse, and shake them to remove any dislodged food left behind.
- Step 2: Fill the small bowl or bucket with a choice of detergent and water. Soak the bags properly for a few minutes and start cleaning them afterward. You can use a non-abrasive sponge or soft bottle brush to rub every corner of the interior exterior of the bag.
- Step 3: Rinse the bags properly by filling and drowning them with fresh water. Wash properly to remove any smell left by food and detergent used.
- Step 4: Shake out the bags to remove all the water and rub it with a wet cloth to soak out as much drop of water as possible and ready it for the drying process.
Dry Your Reusable Sandwich Bags
I believed you have satisfied with the washing process. Now it is time for drying them. Drying a reusable sandwich bag seems not a big deal. Yes, it is if you have an idea about the efficient do’s and don’ts of them. The most popular and easy way is air drying them. Read thoroughly to understand the process of drying them using easy homegrown methods. You may need below items for drying purposes:
- Microfiber cloth
- Drying Platform (Flat rack/ Clothing pegs/ Clips)
- Chopsticks (Optional)
- Refrigerator (Optional)
1. Inside Out
Similar to inside out your clothes while drying them can also be applied to reusable sandwich bags. As it will help the inside dry faster. But a lot of users have suggested not to use it for two reasons. One, it breaks the opening ages and weakens the whole bag on frequent wash and resulting in a shorter lifetime. Two, in side outing the bags cause the inside to be exposed to attack by dust and other unnecessary things. Which can impact the foods stored afterward.
2. Pat Down
It will be better to pat down the bags with a dry cloth to soak any existing water before drying. Take a microfiber cloth and gently rub it over and inside the bags. Make sure to use a puff-less cloth to ensure that to thread and puff got attached to the bag while doing a pat down.
3. Air Dry Using Clothespins/Clotheslines
If you have a shiny front yard or balcony which you use to air dry your clothes, then you can use the same setup for drying your reusable sandwich bags. Simply take your sandwich bags one by one and pin them on the clothesline opening side down to access it with air. Use two clothespins per bag. If you don’t have an open yard or balcony, then you can make a clothesline in your kitchen or open room and hang it there. Drying under the sun is the best but drying with air will also do the trick.
4. Air Dry Using a Drying Rack
If you have a dryer rack, then you can use it for drying the reusable sandwich bags. Arrange the bags on the rack with minimum gaps among them. Remember to keep the openings wide open to flow air into the bag. You can also hang the bags on the dryer racks rails with clips for a better arrangement and quick drying environment.
5. Air Dry Using Homemade Methods
If you don’t have space or willingness to dry the bags in a dryer rack or clothesline then you can use even simpler methods of drying them. Just look for every holder, hook, or other sturdy objects that you could drape the bag over. You can use utensils like chopsticks on a glass and simply drape the over it making sure the openings are not closed. This may get messy all around but it is just drying the sandwich bags, nothing to care about.
6. Store In a Refrigerator
This may sound crazy but it works. If you are living in a place where it is always cold and you don’t have a warm place to dry out the bags after washing, then this method can help you. After washing and patting down the water out of the bags, just store the bags in your refrigerator with a spoon inside to prevent the opening freeze shut. Any remaining water will turn into ice and when you tend to use them again just bring out the bags, shake out the ice, and wipe with a cloth to remove the moisture condensation and they are ready for use.
5 Tips For Using Reusable Sandwich Bags
Like every other reusable good that we use. Reusable Sandwich Bags also needs cleaning, proper handling, and storage methods for their long-lasting and extended durability. Here are a few tips for using reusable sandwich bags properly:
- Store Similar Color Goods: In the case of storing vegetables and foods, try to use similar colored goods and bags. Food like tomato, berry, and strawberry- all are red-colored and tend to leave a similar colored strain on the bag. If the bag color is also red, then strains will not be visible in similarly colored bags.
- Place Them Under the Sun Occasionally: Frequent use of these bags can leave strains and odors in them. Placing them under the sun can benefit you by removing the strains with UV rays, can remove the odors by proper dehydration, and reducing bacterial contamination.
- Recycle Raw Meat Containing Bags: If your reusable sandwich bags were used to store raw meats or other poultries then it is better not to use them anymore. Because these items can be a source of foodborne illness. Washing them can’t sanitize them purely. So it is better to throw them away for recycling.
- Damp and Soiled Bag: Never store damp or soiled bags. This encourages mold and mildew to grow.
- Iron Cotton Fabricated Cotton Bags: Reusable Sandwich Bag also comes in an old-fashioned cotton fabricated design. For better presentation and care, you can iron them after washing and drying.
Reusable bags can be a great choice to store your essentials but they pose bacterial risks like E. coli or Salmonella, if not cleaned and dried properly. It should be washed after every use.
Yes, reusable sandwich bags are freeze and oven friendly. The most popular reusable sandwich bag-making material is silicon and it is well durable against extreme cold and hot.
If your sandwich bag is made of Silicon, then you can soak it in salty water to prevent any bacterial growth. Foods like sandwiches and other snacks can leave bacteria in your container.
Reusable Sandwich Bags are great to use if you are stuck outside of your house and need a quick bite of a snack. They are very convenient in terms of bearing, and handling foods and as such. If you have a school-going kid, you can prepare and provide handmade light food and snacks for them easily. These reusable bags are very durable if sufficient care is taken. As they carry food, cleaning, and washing are obvious.
Drying them properly is as much important as cleaning them. Following proper ways of cleaning and drying extends their use for a longer time. Though it is a lifeless object but still over time, they make a bridge of emotion with its user. Indeed, drying a reusable sandwich bag using simple methods and a few facts implementation can ultimately deliver you a sandwich the next time you feel hungry.